Sunday, June 18, 2023

To Thee, O Lord, have I lifted up my soul

 


3rd Sunday after Pentecost

18 June 2023, Canton

Praised be Jesus Christ!

       The Introit for today’s Sunday Mass sums up in an incomparable way what should be our attitude about all sorts of things, things regarding our lives, things about family and faith, about the mission of the Church. We could live fully as Catholics from such words as we find in today’s Introit. They could even help us sort out what the Church means when it proclaims the Kingship of Jesus Christ.

Réspice in me et miserére mei, Dómine; quóniam únicus et pauper sum ego…

       Look Thou upon me, O Lord, and have mercy on me; for I am alone and poor. See my abjection and my labor; and forgive me all my sins, O my God. To Thee, O Lord, have I lifted up my soul: in Thee, my God, I put my trust; let me not be ashamed.

       Take that Introit, if you will, for your Sunday reflection! There is much here to be unpacked, not only concerning Who God is for my life, but who I am before God.

       Although celebrating the external solemnity of the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus would have been an option for this Sunday, I asked Father Lawrence if it would be alright to celebrate the 3rd Sunday and do so in the context of June as the month of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. After Mass, together with the Leonine Prayers, I would like to recite the Litany of the Sacred Heart with you as well as the Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart. Hopefully, at least as a family, you had the opportunity to do that on Friday, but it is good for us as a community to publicly do so even without exposition of the Blessed Sacrament.

Why my preference for celebrating the Sunday today? I find the proper texts for this 3rd Sunday after Pentecost very powerful and unified in their humble petition for the Lord’s mercy. They can help us understand how it is that Christ reigns over us and our world by the love of His Heart and by His saving Grace.

       As some of you may know, I was in France over Pentecost, invited to come and celebrate the Pontifical High Mass in the Cathedral of Chartres for this year’s 41st traditional Paris-Chartres youth pilgrimage. 16,000 young people whose average age was 20 participated in this wonderful three day event. There were over 300 traditional priests accompanying the young people and families; there were numerous women religious in traditional habit who cared especially for the children and adolescents; there were men religious and seminarians who took part as well. Even the secular media in France were respectful in their interviews and reporting on the pilgrimage. I think it safe to say that many French Catholics rejoiced in the pilgrimage under the protection of the Blessed Mother, and many more were confounded by this joyous and beautiful witness of faith, traditional faith, which did not fit the usual rhetoric of skepticism and alienation from the institutional Church in France.

       Matthew Chapter 11, especially the concluding verses, comes immediately to my mind. I think it can be an interpretative key for our faith experience and offer us hope and consolation in the midst of contrast and controversy. We have every reason in Christ to remain strong and hopeful, confident that the Lord Himself reigns supreme and will vanquish our enemies and foes. The whole chapter 11 of Matthew’s Gospel could be a fruitful meditation for you on the Christian life, but the last 2 verses are the ones I would like to lay upon your hearts.

       Come to me all you that labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you. Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: And you shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is sweet and my burden light.” (Catholic Way Publishing. The Holy Bible: Douay-Rheims Version (p. 2650). Catholic Way Publishing. Kindle Edition.) [Matt. 11:28-30]

       The Gospel for this Sunday from Luke 15 recounts the first two parables of three, the third being that of the Prodigal Son. The first is that of the man going off in search of his lost sheep, leaving the 99 in the desert, and the second that of the woman sweeping her house from top to bottom in her search for the one of ten coins which she had lost.

       We can spend a lot of time frightened by things going on around us, even at certain levels of Church. My simple message to you would be to look to the Heart of Jesus, Who will not allow us to be lost, not endure that we should perish. In Christ the King we have every reason to hope.

Look Thou upon me, O Lord, and have mercy on me; for I am alone and poor. See my abjection and my labor; and forgive me all my sins, O my God. To Thee, O Lord, have I lifted up my soul: in Thee, my God, I put my trust; let me not be ashamed.

       On the civil calendar here in the United States today is Father’s Day. My prayer for all you fathers is that you might be men after the Heart of Christ. That His burning, all-consuming love might be yours as well! May God bless you and bless us with such fathers as give evidence of the reason for our hope in Christ!

       Praised be Jesus Christ!

PROPERANTES ADVENTUM DIEI DEI


No comments:

Post a Comment